Christmas

The Ham Dinner

12/20/2009 08:39:00 PM

This will be a quick post, as I am not feeling well with the flu and general unpleasantness. Not sure if it's too much rich food or too much hard work?? I like to think it's the latter.


Anyway, the photos can do the talking, as this is pretty much a repeat of last year's wildly successful Ham Dinner.

A Christmas Ham Dinner for 6

Mustard-muscovado glazed ham
Spiced peaches
Peas
Mac & Cheese
Endive Salad

As you can see, we are making very good use of our red Ikea paper napkins, and some new red tea-light holders!

Here is the cold ham - it was a free-range ham bought from the wonderful Rendinas butchery.


I sliced off some of the fat, and glazed it with a mixture of dark muscovado sugar, treacle and hot English mustard, before cooking it in a hot oven.


One accompaniment was an endive salad, chosen to provide a bitter contrast to the salty ham and rich mac & cheese.

And here is the mac & cheese, Tyler Florence's recipe.

And Nigella's delicious spiced peaches (Nigella Express).

At first I sliced the ham quite thickly, but it turns out that thinner slices are nicer!




A delicious meal overall, although I must say I'm a bit disillusioned with the quality of ham in Australia. I guess I've been spoiled with brilliant ham in London and Germany?

Anyhoo.. the meal went very well with a bottle of Taittinger. (Thanks Dad!)


Merry Christmas y'all!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. You should try the ham from Donati butchers on Lygon Street in Carlton. It's sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely too much rich food me thinks.

    The ham looks delicious. The peaches look divine, I absolutely adore peaches.

    How does your ham compare to other ones you've tried. The Age article about ham didn't give me much confidence to buy any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh- hope you're gettin better. The ham looks good yo- I'm in anticipation awaiting my Mum's glazed ham. She makes 2 big ones for a family of 4! Every year we end up feeling nicely bloated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn girl that ham looks amazing!!

    Hope you feel better soon!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, hope you get better soon!

    The ham dinner looks amazing - the glaze on the ham is drool worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Merry Christmas Sarah, to you and your family. I hope you feel better soon. I always enjoy reading your blog - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did you think of Nigella's spiced peaches? I thought they were pretty good! This is quite a feast...I'm coming to your house. :)

    ReplyDelete

CONTACT ME

My email address is sarahcooks [at] hotmail [dot] com.