Cheese

Christmas 2008: The Ham Night

12/29/2008 09:52:00 PM


To be completely honest, I wasn't planning on having a ham dinner at all - I was never a fan of cold Christmas ham as a kid, and had no idea when we'd find the time to eat it. However, about a month before Christmas, I was up at Rendinas butcher ordering my turkey and remembered that they're famous for their hams, so on a whim of extravagance, I ordered one too. I figured that, surely, in a month's time I'd have figured out what to do with it. Hah!

Well, the day before the pick-up, (2 days before Christmas itself), I still had no idea, and frantically flicked through my cookbooks to decide on a menu for the ham. I have made hot ham before (notably during my How to Eat project, and whilst in London), always getting raw pickled pork or gammon, and boiling it myself - a long and tedious process. Because our hams only come fully cooked in Australia, I knew I could either serve it cold, or apply a glaze, then heat it briefly in the oven. (According to a Donna Hay recipe, a 8kg ham takes only 45 minutes to heat through).

Here is the menu I chose:

A Pre-Christmas Dinner for 4

Baked Ham with Mustard-Muscovado Glaze
Spiced Peaches (Nigella Express)
Mac & Cheese (Tyler's Ultimate)
Smoky Peas

The mustard-muscovado glaze comes from a suggestion in How to Eat, the peaches from Nigella Express, and the mac & cheese from Tyler's Ultimate. Nigella fans will notice she has a similar menu in Nigella Christmas - a ginger-glazed ham accompanied by mac and cheese. I avoided Nigella's recipes because the ham doesn't have the resplendent clove-studded diamond pattern, and Nigella's mac & cheese recipe bizarrely uses evaporated milk instead of a white sauce. I've tried it; it tastes weird. Tyler's mac & cheese, on the other hand, is truly the ultimate version. Classic, and delicious. He serves it with smoky peas and bacon on the side, but I left out the bacon, so as to avoid a culinary tautology.


Naturally wood-smoked organic leg ham; slicing off the rind, diamond-scoring and clove-studding, cooked ham. The smallest leg-ham I could get was a 2kg piece, and it took about 30 minutes to get hot all the way through and brown on the outside.

Mac & cheese!

Peas - cooked with onion, thyme and a little butter.

Nigella's spiced peaches - ludicrously easy to make (just put everything in a pot and simmer), and totally perfect with the ham.

We loved, loved, loved this meal! The ham was incredible, and the accompaniments worked really well. I thought the spiced peaches were fantastic - I'm a huge fan of fruit with meat. Everything was pretty easy to make, and was put together super-quickly. We actually had it on the Tuesday night before Christmas. That's right, (she says, tooting her own horn), I got this whole dinner together after work one night. I got home at 6, and dinner was on the table before 8. *Pauses for applause*. Thank-you, thank-you.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Sarah,

    Look delicious ! Earlier this year I cooked a maple glazed ham that was cooked in cider first. Absolutely stunning. Checkout ...

    www.bareingredients.com/recipes/2000-12:bakedham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooo, everything looks mega-delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed that you got that dinner together in less than two hours - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:08 AM

    I was THIS close to making ham for my Christmas dinner and now I'm looking rather fondly at yours and thinking of next year...

    ReplyDelete

CONTACT ME

My email address is sarahcooks [at] hotmail [dot] com.