Christmas

TURKEY DINNER

7/28/2007 10:13:00 PM


Check out that plate of deliciousness. Welcome to my first-ever Christmas in July. As I'm sure you're aware, Christmas time in Australia isn't really the time for turkey. It's hot, it's humid, and most sane Aussies are having a barbecue or tucking into big seafood platters. (Not me, of course, but then we all know I'm a food-nut). So, when winter rolls around (and this year has been a doozie!), the idea of 'Christmas in July' becomes quite popular. My Christmas in July was pretty much an exact repeat of Christmas 2005, entirely Nigellan.

The Big Turkey Dinner

Spiced and Super-Juicy Turkey
Lidgate's Chestnut Stuffing
Perfect Roast Potatoes
Maple-Roasted Parsnips
Brussels Sprouts with Chestnut and Pancetta
Gravy
Bread Sauce
Cranberry Sauce
Hot English Mustard
Fortnum and Mason's Christmas Pudding with
Leftover Custard
and Glühwein


The Glühwein was a new addition, (not Nigella's, but an ancient German family recipe, I'm told) as was the brined turkey. The recipe for the turkey is here, at the BBC website. Basically you soak the turkey overnight in a water-salt-sugar-spice mixture, which flavours the turkey and supposedly prevents the turkey from drying out. My turkey got dry anyway, which I think had more to do with the fan in my oven than the brine. But it all tasted nice anyway. The turkey is basted in a goosefat/maple syrup mixture, which makes the turkey and panjuices turn lovely golden brown colour, and makes the gravy correspondingly dark and syrupy.



Glühwein - serve it warm in little mugs for pure winter perfection.

The condiments.

Mmm... dark gravy.

Maple Roasted Parsnips

Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Pancetta


Roast potatoes

Pudding and Custard

Merry Christmas in July!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Oh my gawd.
    Awesome! :P~~~~ (drooling)

    Turkeys are expensive and hard to come by this time of year in KL. Sigh. Closest thing to it is a Turkey Breast sandwich at Subway. :(

    I still go through your archives every now and then, drooling, wishing I had more time to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome and I am drooling. Oddly enough, that is exactly the type of meal I crave in the middle of a hot, humid summer. I miss comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you are amazing. What a fantastic meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're going to Florida for xmas this year and we grilling seafood/chicken instead of the traditional turkey. It seems more weather appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Hi there - I have been following your site for a while and really enjoying it, especially your posts about Germany and its food! We have also spent some time in Germany and have been amused and thrilled by the food there, and longed to recreate some back in Australia. We are having a nostalgic fondue party here soon, and want to make the Gluhwein - are you able to share your recipe? many thanks, frances

    ReplyDelete

CONTACT ME

My email address is sarahcooks [at] hotmail [dot] com.