Sarah Discovers How to Detox

7/30/2006 10:36:00 PM

Hello all!!

I'm back from my trip! When I finished my How to Eat project, many people asked me what the next step was. Now, I think there's really only one logical conclusion from 365 days of enforced eating, followed by 7 weeks of culinary Eurotripping.... a DETOX!!

I'm following the detox that my travel-buddy Clarice followed during her exams (which came, in turn, from Pistachio). Basically, this entails...

- No wheat or yeast
- No sugar
- No meat or fish
- No dairy
- No caffeine (i.e. no tea or coffee!!!!!!!!)
- No alcohol
- No white rice

Additionally, you're supposed to eat small portions and drink loads of water. You can get protein from beans, pulses and tofu (yummy!), and calcium from soy milk and green veggies. If you're being really strict you should avoid fermented products (e.g. vinegar), but seeing as all soy products are made of fermented soybeans, I'm gonna ignore this rule. It goes without saying, I suppose, but you're not supposed to smoke whilst detoxing, and you should try to exercise regularly.

Over the next few weeks, as I progressively blog about the meals I ate in Europe, you'll see why a detox is so very necessary right now.

My detox officially starts tomorrow, Monday the 31st of July, and will go for 4 weeks. In preparedness for this detox, I haven't had any coffee (really!) or alcohol since I came home last week. According to Ed, the boyfriend of a friend of mine, you only need 2 days away from coffee to break the caffeine addiction. That is to say, after 2 days without coffee, you might still "want" a cup of coffee, but that will just be a desire, rather than a chemical dependency. Goodness, I hope so.

Anyway, if anyone has any recipes that you think would be detox-friendly, please let me know. Nigella books are, unsurprisingly, almost totally devoid of such food.

Bring it on.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Good luck for the detox!

    I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    Just want to say Good luck with the detox!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

CONTACT ME

My email address is sarahcooks [at] hotmail [dot] com.