Cake

Gooey Chocolate Stack

10/21/2004 01:58:00 PM

So, this is my first proper food blog. On Monday I was feeling mega-depressed so I skivved off uni and stayed home to make a cake. I made Nigella Lawson's "Gooey Chocolate Stack", which is from her ace book How to be a Domestic Goddess. (Available at all good retailers - go and buy it if you like baking, cos it's absolutely fantastic).


Domestic Bliss

That's the finished product, above. It looked different from the picture (which is in the background) because I was a bit generous with the custard layering. Anyway. it was very tasty. It's basically three layers of chocolate meringue with chocolate custard in between. The recipe suggests pistachios to go on top, but I used silver cachous because that's what was at the shop and Liam doesn't like nuts.

It was so much fun making it - cooking for comfort as opposed to eating for comfort.


I've always had trouble with making meringue... but a KitchenAid Mixer makes light work of eggwhites!


When you add cocoa to the meringue mixture it smells exactly like a Tim Tam. Yum...


Custard filling - it smelled so good that it was so hard to keep my face out of the pot! I've always been crap at doing custards, so I was quite excited that this one didn't turn into scrambled eggs.

So everyone loved the cake. I ate it with my family and my friend Liam last night. This was a huge deal for me because I've been on a no-carb diet for a while. So I had the most massive sugar high last night and today at uni as well. Kinda freaking out my friends with my hyper-ness. Anyway, we had it with coffee and vanilla ice-cream, which for some strange reason, cut through the sweetness. I also took some to uni today - it was fine in the morning, but by midday it had gone all soggy and weepy so it had to be chucked.


GOOEY... (but still crunchy)... and very tasty.


Quotes:

Georgina: OH MY FUCKING GOD DROOL
WHAT IS THAT EXQUISITE PIECE OF DOMESTIC BLISS? (She didn't actually eat any of the cake, I just sent her a photo of it).

Adri: Also thanks for the very delicious "exquisite piece of domestic bliss" (sorry had to steal George's line).

Eden: OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG that looks soo gooddddddddddddddddddd
good enough to eat

I can't remember exactly what Liam, my parents, brother or Paul said... but the response was really positive. Big chocolatey smiles all around. And I liked it too.

So overall the cake is very easy to make, but the only thing you have to remember is that you have to eat it on the day you make it, before it softens and goes gross. I'll definitely be making this again. Yum.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This reminds me of the Mississippi mud/fudge cake my Mom used to make when we were kids. I know it isn't the same, but sin is sin :)

    ReplyDelete

CONTACT ME

My email address is sarahcooks [at] hotmail [dot] com.